What Inspires you When Playing a Character?

3640400589?profile=RESIZE_710x

3640401128?profile=RESIZE_710xMore or less what the title says. What do you guys take inspiration from when playing or developing a character. What influences your decisions when making choices for your character? It doesn't just have to be Skyrim or Fallout either, anything goes. Got some unique things you've put into a Mass Effect, Witcher or Assassin's Creed playthrough? I'd like to hear em!

For me I tend to try and build a character around a specific inspiration or theme. I've taken inspiration from books, history, tv, movies even music for some of my characters.

My last playthrough of Mass Effect Andromeda I played a character that was a biotic assassin. I used Tactical Cloak, Throw, Pull and the Assari Sword with the Adept specialization to take down enemies quickly and control groups with biotics. I took a few inspirations from Star Wars and Halo for that character, making use of the “Force” abilities that Jedi and Sith have and the “Active Camoflague” Elites use along with their plasma infused Energy Swords from Halo.

My first Skyrim build “The Stormrider” was developed around a metal album called “Night of the Stormrider” By Iced Earth. My Witch Arrow build took inspiration from some Celtic mythology/beliefs namely the sidhe and fae. It also was heavily influenced by the “Dalish Elves” from the Dragon Age series.

Have you got any ideas for what you’d like to do for characters for upcoming games like Cyberpunk 2077 or Outer Worlds? I for one would love to make a character in Cyberpunk 2077 that is akin to “Major” from Ghost in the Shell.

Anyway, guys that’s it for me. So tell me what inspires you? 

- Cheers Furrion -

You need to be a member of THE SKY FORGE to add comments!

Join THE SKY FORGE

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Always find it hillariously funny being a sneak character in FO using grenades and mines from stealth. Or reverse pickpocketing a live nade into a raiders pocket lol :D Stealth grenades FTW lol. Have to give Prey a try i've yet to play that one.

• Oh trust me I want to do a Pickpocket + Grenade char but I haven’t been able to nail everything else xD

• Doo iiiit!! :D :D

• Skyrim's what I've been spending most of my time playing the last few years so its hard to recount what inspired characters I've created in other games. Most of my Skyrim builds are inspired by class archetypes from games like Dragon Age, World of War Craft, Kingdoms of Amalur (Bonus to anyone who remembers that game), and Dungeons and Dragons. 

• All awesome places to source ideas from Curse. KOA was one of favs of the last gen consoles. My last character was Finnesse/Sorcerer hybrid. Had Poison Chackrams and some daggers for that character. Poison blink is nice skill too.

• I played that game a lot when I was still in my home country.

• Im curious what inspired builds like the night reaver and force adept. I don’t think I’ve seen anything play out like those builds. 

• With the force adept I found it fascinating  that the effect of absorb magick resembled magic energy being sucked into a singularity. Around the same time I found out circle of protection and guardian circle could trigger continuous magicka absorption when used with the Atronach stone and perk.

The night reaver was more or less an accident. I was just playing a vampire for the hell of it with no real plan, but soon stumbled across mechanics that really meshed well together. And soon after the idea of a vampire witch hunter just made so much sense.  

• It's hard for me to say. In general, I tend to design characters based off of well written villains or antivillians. Something about a character with proper motives draws me in. Likewise, I tend to steer clear of prodigy type characters.

One specific character inspiration that I can name off of the top of my head is Varien, the antagonist of the Rapunzel cartoon series. While it sounds ridiculous, he is by far one of the best written antivillians I have seen.

• A well written villian can really move a story and a characters arc. I try make many of the Characters I create have a somewhat moral ambiguity. Or atleast neither 100% "good" or "bad". A character who has defined motives certainly draws me in too. Far more so than a character who wants to destroy or conquer simply for the sake of doing so.

This reply was deleted.