I've wanted to revamp this creation a bit for quite some time. There were 4 major areas I focused on with this revamp: I trimmed a lot of fat from the build making this character build much easier to level and thus more accessible to players. I shed away what I felt were needless aspects of the build. What was once a level 54 character build now maxes out at a much more accessible 43. Things were added and changed to further emphasis what makes the Brute stand out. Lastly, I gave the build a slight format and visual update as well.
All the core components you know and love about this build are still intact. You'll still tear through the enemy like a force of nature, and you'll be able to enjoy that power much sooner than ever before. Overall, I'm quite proud with how this revamp came out and I'm happy to present once again...
"Brutes rely on their immense strength and relentless fury to overwhelm their enemies. Regardless of the injuries they suffer, they battle on. They are like avalanches or onrushing floods in battle, veritable forces of nature that cannot be stopped, merely endured until they have vented their boundless rage. Easily a match for ten of any hold’s best soldiers, a single colossal blow from a brute’s war hammer is enough to outright kill or grievously injure anyone caught in its path."
The brute is a different take on playing a warrior. Rather than taking defensive measures to ensure survival in battle, the brute prevents his enemies from mounting a decent attack to begin with. With the constant threat of being scattered like weakling rag dolls, the brute is able bully his enemies and utterly crush them. Enemies face an uphill battle against a veritable monster, whose health regenerates faster than they can deplete it.
If you’re not afraid to throw down, fight dirty, and crush your opponents into a fine bloody paste as they lie battered and beaten in the dirt, begging for mercy, then look no further than the build that puts the brute in brutality.
Argonian works best for this build. They make capable warriors and their Histskin ability compliments the brute’s already impressive regenerative capability.
Orcs are another awesome choice for this build. Their racial ability, berserk rage, allows them to push the brute's offensive capabilities to ungodly levels.
Nords are another solid choice. Although they lack the survivabiity of the argonian, or the terrifying strength of the orc, nords get a nice starting boost to many warrior skills. Battle cry can prove useful early on and it just makes sense for enemies to turn tail and run from a maniac wielding a 50lbs sledge hammer.
Stats: Health 4/ Stamina 1/ Magicka 0
Lady Stone. The Brute is all about maintaining offensive momentum above all else. The Lady stone offers an increased 25% regeneration rate to both health and stamina, which compliment the enhanced regeneration from skills and enchantments quite well.
Two Handed: The main damage dealer. The immense damage dealt by your hammer will enable you to overwhelm blockers, stagger enemies, and penetrate defenses.
Block: Keeping opponents off balance, scattered, and otherwise unable to attack is a vital. Bashing and shield charging enable you to do just that.
Smithing: Strong weapons are essential. A strong enough damage rating enables you to take a sizeable chunk out of an enemy’s health bar, blocking or not.
Enchanting: Provides powerful health regenerating enchantments, which will be your only source of healing other than potions you may find along the way. Don’t underestimate how quickly a brute can recover health in combat
Light Armor: Invested into solely for the wind walker. Without stamina regeneration, your offensive momentum will run out very quickly. Coupled with the Lady stone and the Bardic Knowledge skill, you will have an impressive 125% stamina regeneration rate. Feel free to go nuts with the power attacks!
Equipment & Enchantments:
- Armor - Dragon scale helm, boots & gauntlets, Forsworn Armor
Armor: Fortify Health & Health Regeneration
Boots: Fortify Stamina & Two-Handed Damage
Gloves: Two-Handed Damage
- A brute always dresses to intimidate, and nothing screams intimidation more than wearing a suit of armor made from the carcasses of your slain enemies. The enchantments used focus on maximizing damage and health regeneration. The dragon scale armor pieces and the extra effect perk take a bit of time to obtain, but are well worth the effort. In the meantime you should focus on enchanting armors with health regeneration and boots and gauntlets with two handed damage.
- Weapon: Dragon Bone Warhammer
- You'd be hard pressed to find a more fitting weapon. There's simply nothing more brutal than beating the ever living shit out of a dragon with the bones of his own brethren. Elemental fury is the reason you shouldn't enchant your warhammer. Health absorb might be tempting, but its not worth it. Health regeneration is more than enough and warhammers swing way too slowly to gain much from absorption enchantments.
- Ring/Pendant - Two Handed Damage & Health Regeneration
- Go for health regeneration over two handed damage until you get the extra effect perk. Amulets and rings pre enchanted with health regeneration are relatively common random loot in dungeons. If you find them, keep them until your enchanting levels are high enough to craft better ones.
- The Bottom Line
- To recap: 100%+ health regen from enchantments (I've gone a high as 33% per item), and 25% from the Lady Stone = approx. 125% health regeneration at all times.
- Wind Walker perk and the Lady Stone = 75% constant stamina regen
Spells, Powers & Shouts:
- Dragon Aspect: A brute's rage and intensity in the heat of battle is enough to give even dragons pause.
- Become Ethereal: When the going gets tough, a brute is able to buckle down and summon the will power to endure their opponents' blows, no matter how vicious the attacks.
- Elemental Fury: When coupled with Dragon Aspect, a powerful and fast offensive combo is created.
- Powers: Seeker of Might
Most of your stats will be invested into HP to compensate for your low defenses. With the lady stone and wind walker, a constant 75% stamina regeneration rate is possible. You'll also be enchanting for extra stamina so large investments into stamina are unnecessary. Two Handed and Blocking are your first priority. The sooner you're able to shield charge, the much safer combat against large groups will be. During your early levels your priority enchantment should be health regeneration and two handed damage, be it from accessories you find or craft yourself.
If you're looking to get those two skills out of the way as quickly as possible, take advantage of the Hadvar exploit while escaping Helgen to level up two handed. Just keep smashing him with a two handed weapon repeatedly when he stops to point out the sleeping bear in the caves. Block can be leveled up from 15 to 100 in about an hour by taking advantage of the giants by Whiterun. Simply lower your game difficulty to Novice and equip your best shield. Allow the giants to wail on you as you block. You'll gain about a full level for every single attack up until about 60 or so.
Dont let yourself get discouraged by the need for dragon smithing. Smithing is a fairly manageable skill to level up. Take advantage of the warrior stone you start out with as well as the easily attainable dwarven smithing perk. Many dwarven ruins house tons and tons of dwarven ingots as well as scraps that can be melted down into more ingots. Use those in conjunction with iron ingots to make mass amounts of dwarven bows. You'll hit level 100 easy and come away with a decent chunk of change to boot.
**Improving your armor at a forge is not necessary as keeping enemies from attacking to begin with is the point of this build. Low armor and high attack power is more in keeping with what this build is about**
Requires: Shield Charge
The Brute charges full steam ahead into enemy ranks, scattering everyone and everything in the way like a rag doll
As you know by now Shield Charge can be done without a shield by simply mashing the block button while sprinting. Its a simple and very effective tool for bullying your enemies and keeping them too scattered to mount a credible offense. Use it whenever enemies are crowding you and you'll take most of them out of the fight for several seconds.
Requires: Become Ethereal + Become Ethereal Meditation + Health regen enchantments + Lady Stone
Through shear force of will the Brute is able withstand all manner of attacks, becoming invulnerable to damage for a brief duration. Unbreakable also grants a bonus to health regeneration and plenty of time for it to take effect.
This combo takes advantage of your incredible health and stamina recovery speeds, allowing you to recharge a sizable portion of health while immune to harm. You can easily replenish over 50% of your health over time. While bidding your time, you can toss enemies around with Rampage and it wont cost an ounce of stamina nor break the ethereal effect.
Requires: Dragon Aspect + Histskin + Seeker of Might + Elemental Fury
The Brute flies into a blind rage, becoming an unstoppable force of destruction. Unstoppable Force grants massive bonuses to health/stamina regen, attack speed and attack damage.
Once the brute gains momentum, he cannot be stopped. This combo pushes your offensive and regenerative capability to the limit. It's best saved as a last resort against very powerful bosses, as it is a combination of 3 once-a-day skills. Substitute histskin for health regeneration potion and throw in Berserk Rage if you're using an Orc.
- Your goal in every battle is to bully your enemies by keeping them scattered and on flat on their backs, and then hit them hard while they’re vulnerable. Your survival depends on disrupting enemy action, as brutes lacks the armor rating to tank repeated blows.
- Don't hold back on power attacks. With such a high stamina regen rate feel free to slam down power attacks with reckless abandon. Damage output is far more important than conserving stamina. Most enemies don't last very long against the full might of the Brute.
- Shield Charging with a Two handed weapon can be done by running while repeatedly tapping the block button. The knock down chance is calculated every time your "shield" is raised or lowered.
- You will want to be wary of archers. If present, take them out first. Dont hesitate to use Unbreakable and walk right up to them and crush them. Apply this same tactic against mages.
- Use Rampage to throw enemies off ledges. It doesn't take much distance to kill enemies through fall damage.
- If the enemy manages to deplete more than 50% of your health, use Unbreakable. With 150% health regeneration, and 3 word 'Become Ethereal', you can restore over 50% of your total health easily.
Its been a blast creating this build. I hope you guys will give it a try and enjoy it as much as I have. As always, thanks for the continued support.